A virtually unmatched cardiovascular exercise, XC skiing is good for health and is becoming more and more popular. With 4,000 kilometers of well maintained trails for classical and skate skiing, cross country skiing in Tirol has something to offer everyone from beginner to expert. The stunning trail network offers a wide range of peaceful escapes from groomed trails over open meadows to sheltered tracks through whispering trees. Tirol’s High Altitude and Glacier XC Ski Tracks provide Nordic skiers with fabulous early and late season terrain and consistently good snow conditions. Some high-altitude XC ski locations across Tirol are rising up to 2,500 meters above sea level.
Looking for great places to peacefully glide cross country? Tirol’s twelve “Nordic Centers” offer both an optimal infrastructure and the perfect cross-country skiing service: Tannheimer Tal, Lechtal, Tiroler Oberland, Ötztal, Olympiaregion Seefeld, Achensee, Kitzbüheler Alpen, Kaiserwinkl, Osttirol, Pitztal and Paznaun-Ischgl. The cross-country skiing seal of approval from the province of Tyrol is a prerequisite for this. In addition, they offer a versatile and snow-sure cross-country skiing network of at least 50 kilometres in length and a good infrastructure is just as much a part of it. Competent specialist handling and service, cross-country skiing courses for all levels, quality-tested cross-country skiing accommodation as well as ski schools and ski rentals round off the offer. These are the "Tyrolean cross-country skiing specialists": Kitzbühel Alps with the regions of St. Johann, Pillerseetal and Hohe Salve, Paznaun-Ischgl, Achensee, Ötztal, Olympiaregion Seefeld, Tannheimer Tal, Kaiserwinkl, East Tyrol, Wipptal and the Tyrolean Oberland Nauders-Kaunertal.
Whether your clients are just beginning or race with the best, the certified instructors at Tirol’s Nordic Ski Schools will have them skiing better and having more fun. Located all across Tirol, about 180 quality approved Accommodations for Nordic Skiers offer a high level of cross country skier-friendly services and are a maximum of 3 km from a cross-country ski trail.
Three of Tirol’s Nordic Centers (Achensee Lake, Tirol Oberland and Seefeld Olympia Region) are renowned as the best places in Tirol to enjoy Adaptive Nordic Skiing. Wheelchair users can glide across snow laden woods on Nordic sit-skis and take in the stunning scenery. Seefeld Olympia Region and Pertisau at Lake Achensee Region offer Dog Friendly Trails that allow for four-legged friends to get out and enjoy the snow and sunshine, too.
Biathlon is a fascinating combination of cross-country skiing and shooting, dynamics and tranquillity. At the guest biathlon, beginners and those interested can try out this experience first hand. In the Nordic Centres Pillerseetal, Seefeld and Obertilliach as well as in Erpfendorf near St. Johann there is the opportunity to try your hand at biathlon
Numerous cross-country skiing events are also held in Tirol, including professional races and competitions for ambitious hobby athletes.
Key statistics "Cross-Country Skiing Holidays in Tirol
• 7% of guests go cross-country skiing during their Tirolean holiday
• Cross-country skiing is stated equally as a main and secondary activity
• Significantly above-average proportion of cross-country skiers from CZ
• The average cross-country skier is 63 years old
• Highly educated
• The majority are couples and families with children/young people
• High proportion of regular guests
• Cross-country skiers become aware of the region mainly through the Internet
• Most cross-country skiers book their accommodation direct
• Cross-county skiers stay in holiday apartments more frequently than average
• Cross-county skiers partake in a wide variety of sports; sporting activities in addition to cross-country skiing: winter hiking, skiing, tobogganing and snowshoeing; bathing/swimming is of fundamental importance from a relaxation aspect
• In addition to sporting activities, the recreational component plays an above-average role for cross-country skiers: great food, walks, wellness and relaxation, excursions and visits to places of interest
Source: Tirol Werbung, T-Mona Winter 2019/20